How to submit
We are delighted that you are interested in submitting your work to Greenhouse!
The publishing industry is tough and competition is fierce, so we look for outstanding voices – for writing that’s fresh, original and effective. Most of all, we seek potential.
We specialize in writing for children: picturebook texts of less than 1000 words; high-concept/character-led young series; middle grade novels; young-adult/crossover novels. Very occasionally, a non-fiction proposal will be considered.
Please note: We are NOT looking for short stories, educational or religious/inspirational work, poetry, pre-school/novelty material, screenplays or writing aimed at adults.
Here is the procedure to follow if you want to submit your work to Greenhouse:
1) Make sure your work is absolutely as good as you can make it. Revise, critique (repeat, repeat) before sending. Don’t waste your opportunity!
2) Decide which agent is right for you - you can only submit to one. Click on Sarah Davies or John Cusick to read about them and their interests. If you live in the US/Canada and are writing for middle grade or older, you can query either Sarah or John. If you live in the UK/Commonwealth and are writing MG or YA, please query Sarah.
3) PICTUREBOOKS: Please note our amended submissions policy. If you are from the US/Canada, please submit your PB text to John. Sorry, but we are currently closed to UK/Commonwealth PB texts.
4) Prepare a query email WITH THE AGENT’S NAME IN THE SUBJECT LINE. The opening letter should be no longer than one page in length (if it were on paper) and should contain: word count of the manuscript; age group, brief synopsis of story (no more than 3 paragraphs); brief bio with details of any writing background you have. Please also tell us what country you live in. This is very helpful!
5) If you’re writing a novel: Paste the first 5 pages of your story into the body of the email. If you’re writing a picturebook (no more than 1000 words): paste in the whole text. No illustrations are required at this stage, unless you are an author/illustrator. Please note: we do not accept or open attachments unless we specifically request them.
6) Send your complete query email to .
7) Wait patiently. We love to find new talent so all queries are read and carefully considered. We can often get back to you very quickly - within a few days. However, we receive a very high volume of submissions and sometimes other work/travel delay us. Please therefore allow up to 6 weeks for a response. If we haven’t got back to you by then, email the agent again on - it’s possible your message got lost in cyberspace. You can of course also add a delivery/read receipt to your query email to be sure it has arrived.
8) If we are interested in your work we will reply asking to read either a partial or full manuscript as an e-document. In this case, please allow 6-8 weeks for us to read and respond to the manuscript.
Finally: Sarah and John work very closely together, so if we feel your work is better suited to the other agent, we will pass it on.
Sorry, but we can’t give editorial feedback or advice about other agents or agencies.
Thanks for thinking of Greenhouse for your work - and good luck!